Thursday, February 7, 2013

Rye Boule

Rye Boule


At the request of a local bookshop owner, a large, dark, 100% rye loaf. The 100% humidity Rye starter took 4 days to make; feeding 48 hours after starting, then 24, then 12, and mature culture 12 hours after that. The Levain was 675 grams of rye flour, 100% humidity, with a few tablespoons of starter and let sit for 15 hours. In the morning, 235 grams of rye flour, 80 grams water, and a few large pinches of salt was added. Hand mixed for 20 minutes, then rested in a round brotform for about an hour, before being baked for 1.5 hours.

Rich Rye scent filled my kitchen, a good rise lifted the air pockets in the loaf, and the cats in my house all tried to eat this bread before it was delivered.

This was my first experiment with 100% rye flour, and I must say it was rather difficult to work with by hand, but I'm not sure an electric mixer would make it more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment