Thursday, January 23, 2014

100% Whole Grain

Attempting to make an overnight autolyse, 100% whole grain sourdough bread with the simple ingredients of flour, water, and salt. This was not a success...Maybe the dough fermented at too cool a temperature?  Thinking of increasing the leaven percentage..Any thoughts??

Formula:
400g King Arthur Whole Wheat (80%)
100g Arrowhead Mills Organic Rye (20%)
400g Water (80%)
150g Starter (30%)
10g Sea Salt (2%)

Mixing:
Overnight Autolyse with flour and water.
Stir in culture and salt.
3 hour (bulk) ferment with folds on the half hour
20 minute pre shape
3 hour final shape

Baking:
Baked on hearth ovens at work, 500 for 30-40 mins

2 comments:

  1. That sounds interesting, a twenty four hour autolyse would have gluten great development and that makes it easy for yeast to metabolize glucose. I dont think the flavor or the leavening would develop because you dont have the bi product of the yeast and lactobacili. I have been wanting to try adding half of my leaven right after a half hour autolyse letting it sit in the fridge overnight and then mixing the rest of leaven. and then I dont know what .... i just totally got lost.hahaha but it seems like there has to be a fine balance of food for the bacteria and the yeast. I have been doing 12hr Fridge bulk ferment and the crust + crumb has been phenomenal. That being said its only white with a hand full of wheat. Chris did a nice wheat loaf with a fridge bulk ferment and got really nice results. Bread drives me crazy, I feel like a scientist sometimes.
    http://learnandlivewell.blogspot.com/2010/04/symbiosis-of-sourdough.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bulk fermenting is a beautiful thing. I need to try some of your breads! Next time you have something extra throw it in the mail my way. 547 Preble Street, Apt. B South Portand, ME 04106. I'll send you guys something once I feel its a well enough representation of what I'm trying to create haha. Whats the address at the Chaz? Cool link. I agree with only baking one loaf a day to not deplete your supplies if it doesn't come out great haha.

    ReplyDelete