Monday, January 27, 2014

Maine Grains

Here is another go at 100% whole grain.  This time I used entirely Maine Grains flour from their Skowhegan Mill and upped the leaven amount.  Started out to be safe at 70% hydration, looked stiff so I added 10g more water to make it 72%.  It became so extensible from the long autolyse though, I practically lost all hope.  I heavily floured a kitchen towel and placed it in my basket, also dusted the exposed underside of the loaf in attempts to "dry it out".  I had some errands to run in town on my bike today and it sat in its final shape for nearly 4 hours.  The flavor is right on actually.  I'm almost there! I just need one of those wicker baskets with a couche lining, and maybe a shorter autolyse with only 70% hydration..

Formula:
250g Maine Grains Rye (50%)
250g Maine Grains WW (50%)
360g Water (72%)
200g 100% Hydration Starter (40%)
10g Sea Salt (2%)

Mixing:
Overnight autolyse of flour and water (2-3 mins)
Stir in Leaven and salt (5 mins)

Folding and Shaping:
6 folds on the quarter hour
15 minute preshape (tight)
Heavy hands and tight final shape into a round
Proof in well floured basket

Baking:

Lodge Cast Iron Dual Cooker
500 for 25, 450 additional 25 with top removed





No comments:

Post a Comment